Tuesday 6 July 2010

Stage 3, Race Quotes from Cervelo


Thor Hushovd (NOR): “To win on this day on the cobblestones really means a lot to me. The team was perfect today. I really want to compliment them. They were really motivated and they gave me so much help to keep me in a good position. I needed to stay in the front group and avoid trouble, I knew I would have a good chance. That’s what I did and I was able to win. I am really proud to win today. It was a special stage, and a nice win. I have had my eye on this stage for awhile and it’s great that it worked out. I am really satisfied. It was nice to win in the Norwegian national jersey, but I am also happy that I know have the green jersey.”
Ignatas Konovalovas (LTU): “It’s a great day for the team. We have pain everywhere, but it’s a nice day. We had about 100 km that were pretty easy. In the end, before the second cobble section, we tried to keep our team at the front. Andreas (Klier) and I went to the front after the second cobbles section, and then the other guys took over to help Thor. Victory is always good. When you win or when a teammate wins, you forget what had happened yesterday, or maybe last month. I have raced the cobbles before, but never Roubaix or Flanders. It was a big day today.”
Andreas Klier (GER): “The team came together with about 80 km to go. We really pushed hard to put Thor near the front. Our man had the big motor today – not one on the bike, but in his legs! – and he had some luck. It’s a great victory for Thor and a great victory for the team. Yesterday, we had the bad luck, today we have the good luck. Today makes up for all the disappointment. Thor just rode from A-to-B, like he’s always done. This is a beautiful victory over the cobblestones.”
Jean-Paul van Poppel, Cervélo TestTeam Sports Director (NED): “This is a great victory. This is the stage we wanted the most. We had to take something back from what happened yesterday. Everyone on the team knew what they had to do and we really pulled it off. The team was perfect. Thor was right at the front in all the critical cobblestones and then he made a great sprint to win. Last night, after yesterday’s stage, I have never seen Thor so angry. We don’t want to talk about it anymore. The green jersey is back on his shoulders and it came after a beautiful win on the cobblestones. The green jersey was just a matter of time, because Thor has been the best rider in the first four days of the Tour.”

www.cervelo.com


No comments: